Associate Professor, Analytical Chemistry
My Research Interests Are:
Novel applications of microelectrodes in analytical chemistry. As the field of analytical chemistry progresses toward smaller scales and studies in micro-environments, microelectrodes have proven to be compatible detection devices. The application in which I am most interested is investigating electrogenerated chemiluminescent (ECL) reactions at microelectrodes. In an ECL experiment, a microelectrode is used to very quickly (microsecond or less time frames) generate the reagents required for chemiluminescence. Because of its small background and specificity, ECL is ideal for analytical detection. When coupled with microelectrodes, ECL efficiency is greater and small-scale experiments can be designed. Ultimately, I would like to use the ECL reactions studied in my laboratory for detection in capillary electrophoresis and microchip applications.
- Gross, Erin M. “Green Chemistry and Sustainability: An Undergraduate Course for Science and Nonscience Majors” Journal of Chemical Education 2013, 90, 429 – 431. DOI: 10.1021/ed200756z
- Gross, Erin M; Lai, R. Y. “Chemistry: a bridge to discovery.” Bioanalysis 2013, 5, 131–133. DOI: 10.4155/bio.12.311
- Gross, Erin M.; Clevenger, Michelle E.; Neuville, Connor J.; Parker, Kalani A. "A Bioanalytical Microfluidics Experiment for Undergraduate Students" ACS Books Symposium series: Teaching Bioanalytical Chemistry, January 1, 2013, 85-104. DOI: 10.1021/bk-2013-1137.ch005
- Klotz, Elsbeth; Doyle, Robert; Gross, Erin M. and Mattson, Bruce "The Equilibrium Constant for Bromothymol Blue: A General Chemistry Laboratory Experiment Using Spectroscopy" Journal of Chemical Education 2011, 88, 637-639. doi: 10.1021/ed1007102
- Gross, Erin M. “Pittsburgh Conference on Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy” Bioanalysis, 2010 2, 1005-1007. doi: 10.4155/BIO.10.66
- Sterner, Elizabeth; Rosol, Zachary; Gross, Erin M. and Gross, Stephen M. “Thermal Analysis and Ionic Conductivity of Ionic Liquid Containing Composites with Different Crosslinkers” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2009 114, 2963 - 2970. doi: 10.1002/app.30894
- Fredrick, Sarah J. and Gross, Erin M. “Use of Microelectrodes for Electrochemiluminescent Detection in Microfluidic Devices.” Bioanalysis 2009 1, 31–36. doi: 10.4155/BIO.09.1
- Gross, Erin M.; Kelly, Richard S. and Cannon, Jr., Donald M. “Analytical Electrochemistry: Potentiometry”, Journal of the Analytical Sciences Digital Library, entry number 10052, July 31, 2008.
- Burkhead, Matthew S.; Wang, Heeyoung; Fallet, Marcel and Gross, Erin M. “Electrogenerated Chemiluminescence: An Oxidative-Reductive Mechanism between Quinolone Antibiotics and Tris(2,2’-bipyridyl)ruthenium(II)”, Analytica Chimica Acta 2008, 613, 152-162. doi: 10.1016/j.aca.2008.02.059